Carambola is also known as the star fruit. It comes from the Malayan peninsula. It has yellowish color and a sweet and sour taste, something like a combination from pineapple, citrus, grape and pear. It only contains 31 calories in 100gr and it is packed with nutrients like niacin, folate, lutein, antioxidants, vitamin C, B, riboflavin, iron, zinc, potassium, manganese, and calcium.
This fruit has a lot of health benefits.
– It provides antimicrobial properties
– It strengthens your immune system and it also protects you from viral diseases like common colds, flu, etc.
– It can lower your bad cholesterol and raises the levels of good cholesterol
– It can help you fight insomnia and improve your sleep if you have issues falling asleep.
– It is very beneficial for the development of a fetus, for pregnant women and babies.
– It improves digestion
– It improves eye-sight and contributes to a perfect health for your eyes.
– It is great for your skin and it can prevent diseases like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
– It controls diabetes
– It regulates hypertension
NOTE: people who suffer from kidney failure, kidney diseases, or are on kidney dialysis must not consume this fruit due to the high amounts of oxalic acid which can cause vomiting, confusion, and nausea. Moreover, when taking meds like opiates, benzodiazepines, or satins you have to be cautious as the fruit can interfere with them.